Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Love Saturdays Y domingos, By: Alma Flor Ada

This book is a great example of cultural diversity! On a personal level I can really relate to the girl in the book because I too am from a mixed family, my father is Mexican-American and my mother is Anglo. I think that the author did a good job of comparing the differences between the food and even the activities that the girl enjoyed with each of her grandparents. The book really showed that the girl loved each of her grandparents and enjoyed what their differences had to offer.
This book could be useful in the classroom to show students how different cultures celebrate birthdays differently. The students could possibly then share how they celebrate their birthdays at home.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I agree, I think that the author did a great job of showing the activities that would take place in these cultures. Student who are not from this background would be able to learn alot about how some of their friends celebrate differently.

Cherise said...

Carmen, you made some very good points in this blog. I especially like how you said the students can read this book and then talk about how they celebrate birthdays. It is always interesting to hear the different ways in which different cultures celebrate traditions.