Monday, July 21, 2008

When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer, Written by:Walt Whitman, Illustrated by: Loren Long

The illustrations in this book are fantastic!! There were very few words in this book, but the illustrations alone could pretty much tell the story. The book is about a young boy who is in crowded lecture hall listening to an astronmer. The boy grows tired and bored so he steps outside and looks up at the night sky. I really like the quote by Albert Einstein at the end which says, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
This might not be a book that I would read aloud to my class, but it is definately one that I would like to have in my collection so that students are able to check it out themselves.

3 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Carmen: I myself am still trying to figure out how I would do this book as a read aloud. The way the text is set up doesn't lend itself to put it to use in that way, but most definitely, as you say, have in my collection in the class. Maybe even have the students infer the story based on just the illustrations, which are very, very good.

Hilary LeMar said...

I also thought that the illustrations in this book were really good. I agree with you that this book is not that great for a read aloud but it might be interesting to some students, so you should keep it on your shelf.

Anonymous said...

Im wit ya! The illustrations in this book are ridiculously goodlooking (zoolander)hahahaha! Naw really tho, i think even without the small amount of words in the book the illustrations by itlself could tell the story...without a doubt!